Who doesn’t love a good healthy pasta? Vegan Pesto Pasta it is!
Growing up I was always told that pasta isn’t good for health as its made of refined flour, cheese, cream all of which come under a lot of unhealthy items. But in recent years times have changed and now even healthy food can taste yummy!
I was introduced to Pesto a few years ago and I totally grew a liking towards it. When I went on to see how it is prepared I realized it was a ‘costly’ ingredients recipe. But the stubborn me really wanted to try it and hence I decided to make my own version of it with slight variations.
I used a few substitutes like instead of pine nuts I used almonds. You could even use walnuts depending on what’s available in your kitchen. For cheese trying to get parmesan can be heavy on the pockets so instead, you can use any hard cheese that is available. I went ahead with the cheese closest to Parmesan and used Grana Padano.
The best part about making pesto is that you can always batch freeze it and use it later on. You could use it to make pasta, use it as a dip or over your sandwiches. Whatever way you wish to use it! Here I showed how to make an easy variation of the spaghetti (my version of the vegan pesto pasta) as I was really craving some Italian dish for the longest time!
Vegan Pesto Pasta
- Mixer / Food processor
- 2-3 cups Basil leaves (The fresher the stronger the taste)
- 1 /2 cup Plant-based Grana Padano cheese/Parmesan/any hard cheese (You could use dairy cheese too if you arent vegan)
- 1/2 cup Roasted almonds
- 1/2 cup Olive oil extra virgin
- 2-3 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup Wheat Spaghetti
- In the food processor/ Mixer add all of the above ingredients consisting of Basil, Almonds, garlic, salt, pepper, grated cheese and drizzle it with olive oil. Then blend it until its crumbly.
- As all the ingredients are dry and since we aren't using pine nuts which add the creamy softness to pesto you could either add more oil or more water. I went ahead with adding slight water and blend it again .
- To prepare pasta take a pan of boiling water with 1-2 tbsp of salt and 1 tbsp of oil added to it and let it cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Strain all the water from the pasta and let it cool down for a bit.
- Take the pesto and mix it into your pasta.
In case you want more healthy recipes to make sure to check out my Famous Kiwi Smoothie Bowl. ☺️
Hope you guys will try this recipe of my Vegan Pesto Pasta and tell me how it went with you guys!
You can also follow me on my Instagram handle to see my day to day activities and be a part of my life! Also do not forget to rate my recipe!